Home > Untitled


Page 1

Page 2

Page 3
Table of
1. Welcome 2. Introduction
• Introducing the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS)
3. Planning Your Stay
• Academic & Admission Matters • Accommodation • Finances • Family Matters • Medical Care & Insurance : Keeping Well • Visa Matters • Cultural Adjustment & Life in Hong Kong
4. Arriving Hong Kong
• Airport Reception Service • Orientation Programme • Getting to HKU

Page 4
5. Life at HKU
• Catering : Where to Eat • Student Amenities • Student Sport and Recreation • Prayer Room and Chapel • Student Attire • Smoke-free Campus • Language • Student Clubs
6. Appendices
• Pre-departure Checklist • Directory • Semester Dates • International Student Profile • Maps
7. Insert
Telling the Taxi Driver to Go to your Student Residences

Page 5
Dr. Albert Chau Dean of Student Affairs December 2011
The University of Hong Kong welcomes non-local students and has much to offer, both academically and culturally. As you are preparing to study at The University of Hong Kong, the historical and premier institute in HKSAR, you may wish to have some ideas about the wide range of academic and non-academic support that we provide. This guide is intended to give you some information along with practical tips to ease your adjustment to the University. My colleagues and I look forward to working with you closely to make your stay in HKU a very fruitful and rewarding experience. Thank you.

Page 6
International Student Services – We are your first contact
CEDARS as a whole provides a range of support services to non-local students. The Campus Life section is your first contact. We offer you specific support upon arrival.
Campus Life Support
• We provide information and assistance on non-academic matters. • We give assistance and guidance on: - Visa and immigration formalities - Accommodation - Orientation and cultural adjustment
Why talk to us?
• We are experienced in helping students. • We understand the university system. • We have knowledge of issues affecting non-local students. • All discussions are confidential. • We can refer you to other services, if necessary.
Who are we?
Chief Student Advisor:
Sylvia Wong (sylchan@hku.hk)
Accommodation Manager:
Alan Ng (alanhyng@hku.hk)
Student advisors:
Wenkie Koo (wenkie@hku.hk) Emily Wong (eypwong@hku.hk) Christina Wong (chriswfw@hku.hk) 5

Page 7
When can you meet us?
You can always drop in at our counter for general enquiries or make an appointment anytime to discuss your concerns and needs with a student advisor. CEDARS 3/F Meng Wah Complex (852) 2859 2305 (852) 2546 0184 cedars@hku.hk
Contact details

Page 8
Planning Your Stay

Page 9
Academic &
Admission Matters
Founded in 1911, the University of Hong Kong is the oldest tertiary institution in Hong Kong. Today, HKU has a population of over 3,000 academic staff, some 22,000 students which includes almost 7,000 non-local students that come from 80 countries. As of 2011, HKU yet again ranks as the 1st in Asia and 22nd in the world (up one from 2010) in the QS World University Rankings. HKU is a culturally diverse campus. It offers full-degree programmes and short term exchange programmes to non-local students. You can also choose to study at HKU as a ��visiting student�� for a short period of time. Details on admission criteria and procedure can be found on the website: http://www.hku.hk/admission.

Page 10
Reasons for choosing HKU
HKU is one of the top 25 universities in the world (ranked by the QS World University Rankings 2011 and THE World University Rankings 2010). Top English Language University in Asia. Vibrant and diverse student community with almost 7,000 non-local students on the campus. Top score in the world in 2008 for the internationalisation of our teaching staff. They are chosen around the world and come from over 50 different countries. Tuition fees are low by international standards. Excellent student support services. State-of-the-art computer centers and first-class research facilities. Fully-furnished halls of residence conveniently located near the campus.

Page 11
Important application dates for non-local students
Exchange programme
Partner schools nomination deadline:
• September 2012 admission: March 31, 2012 • January 2013 admission: September 1, 2012
Undergraduate programme
Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme 2012
• For International students applying for the undergraduate programme: Fast Track: November 8, 2011 Main Round: September to December 30, 2011 Late: January to August 2012 http://www.hku.hk/admission • For Mainland students applying for the undergraduate programme: Mid-November 2011 to April 30, 2012 (paper application) Mid-November 2011 to June 15, 2012 (on line application)
International student entrance scholarships are available for undergraduate students. You can find out more information at <http://www.hku.hk/international>.
Research postgraduate programme
Application is open throughout the year.
Application deadlines Hong Kong PhD Fellowships (HKPF)* Initial application to the Research Grants Council: December 1, 2011 noon Main round: December 1, 2011 1st clearing round: April 30, 2012 2nd clearing round: August 31, 2012 *All HKPF applications will also be automatically considered for the award of the University Postgraduate Fellowships (UPF).

Page 12
Taught postgraduate programme
Application is open from January 2012, with the deadline varying from programme to programme (please refer to the Postgraduate Prospectus).
Short-term visiting student
September admission: May 31, 2012 January admission: October 31, 2012
Summer programme
January to June 2012. Application dates will vary between programmes http://www.hku.hk/summer
Student visa application
You should mail your visa documents to CEDARS immediately after receiving your admission package. Application closes 6 weeks prior to the commencement date of your programme. For Mainland undergraduate and taught postgraduate students, please apply to China Affairs Office.
Hall application
For exchange and undergraduate students
September admission: May to August, 2012 January admission: October to December, 2012
For postgraduate students
Application is open throughout the year. Students are strongly recommended to apply as soon as they have received the offer letter of admission.

Page 13
Accommodation for full degree undergraduate and exchange students (for full-time students only)
We have different types of accommodation to suit your needs:
(A) Halls of Residence (primarily for undergraduate students)
There are thirteen halls of residence, eleven of which are directly administered by the University, while two are financially and administratively independent of the University. These thirteen halls vary considerably in size and character. They are basically undergraduate halls, but they also accept a small number of postgraduate students. The quota for international students is relatively small and competition is usually keen. (A new residential college at Lun Wah Street, Kennedy Town, Western District will be completed in Summer 2012.)
Hall Culture: Is it for you?
The halls of HKU are committed to the personal and social development of their members. They are part of the education system, rather than a mere provision of accommodation. Hall members are expected to take full advantage of this experience and to participate actively in a wide range of hall activities. The halls are also known for their strong hall spirit. Members identify very strongly with their halls. Each hall has its own tradition, culture and unique characteristics.

Page 14
Hall Facilities
All halls have common rooms and recreational facilities. Each floor has its own pantry and is equipped with refrigerator, microwave oven, hotplate, water boiler and drinking fountain. Communal bathroom and toilet facilities are provided on each floor. All rooms are air-conditioned and are furnished with bed and mattress. Each student is provided with a wardrobe, writing desk with lamp, chair and bookshelf. Individual network point and a shared telephone line are provided in every room in most of the halls. Coin-operated washing and drying machines are provided in every hall as well.

Page 15
Hall Charges: Planning your expenses
The following table outlines the fees (in HK dollars) for undergraduate students residing in the halls of residence, based on the charges of the year of 2011/12. Fees are normally adjusted annually.
1 Swire Hall, Simon K.Y. Lee Hall, Lady Ho Tung Hall, Lee Hysan Hall, Lee Shau Kee Hall, Morrison Hall
R.C. Lee Hall, Starr Hall, Suen Chi Sun Hall and Wei Lun Hall. * Resident has to pay the following additional items: (1) $1,200 Communication & Network Charges and Air-conditioner Fee; (2) $800 RHSA Fee; (3) $2,000 room and electricity deposit (refundable). Please confirm with hall office for update figures.
Note: • In Year 2011-12, the residential year for the university-administered halls starts on 19 August 2011 and ends on 28 May 2012. • The compulsory meal plan does NOT cover all meals. For those residents whose halls do not provide compulsory meal plans, they can have meals on the campus catering outlets. The cost is around $2,000 to $3,000 per month. • Apart from lodging fees (and compulsory meal charges for some halls), residents also need to pay other miscellaneous charges such as hall association membership fees, compulsory high table fees, key deposit, etc. on a semester basis. Such lump sum ranges from $800 to $1,500 per semester. Please confirm with hall office for update figures. • For those students who reside in hall for the whole residential year, hall charges are paid in 2 installments: in October and in January. Students who wish to stay in hall during the summer vacation (from June to August) should contact their hall offices by April for the application of summer vacation residence.
Halls Lodging Fees Compulsory Meal Charges St. John��s College $11,037~$16,980 (283 residential days)
1st Semester: $5,265-$8,100 1st Semester: $3,862 2nd Semester: $5,772-$8,880 2nd Semester: $4,271
Ricci Hall $10,619 (287 residential days) *
1st Semester: $4,921 2nd Semester: $5,698
University Hall & $10,188 (283 residential days)
other university–
1st Semester: $4,860
administered halls1
2nd Semester: $5,328
Not applicable $5,909
1st Semester: $2,864 2nd Semester: $3,045

Page 16
Sassoon Road Pokfulam Road
• for women only • Shared room • 91 Pokfulam Road • within walking distance to the main campus • http://www.hku.hk/hotung
Lady Ho Tung Hall
Lady Ho Tung Hall
• for men and women • Shared room • On main campus (Pokfulam Road) • http://www.hku.hk/skylee
Simon K.Y. Lee Hall
Simon K.Y. Lee Hall Swire Hall
University Halls of Residence
Swire Hall
HKU Main Campus
• for men and women • Shared room • On main campus (Pokfulam Road ) • http://www.hku.hk/swire

Page 17
University Hall
• for men only • run by Jesuit Fathers • Single room • 93 Pokfulam Road • within walking distance to the main campus • has dining room, with compulsory meal charges for residents • http://www.hku.hk/ricci
Ricci Hall
• for men and women • Shared room • 91 Pokfulam Road • within walking distance to the main campus • http://www.hku.hk/starr
Starr Hall
• for men only • Shared room • 144 Pokfulam Road • within a short bus ride from the main campus • has dining room, with compulsory meal charges for residents • http://www.hku.hk/uhall
University Halls of Residence
Sassoon Road Pokfulam Road
Lee Shau Kee Hall St. John's College Morrison Hall Suen Chi Sun Hall R.C. Lee Hall Wei Lun Hall Lee Hysan Hall University Hall Starr Hall Ricci Hall
HKU Main Campus

Page 18
• for men and women • Shared room • 109 Pokfulam Road • next to Flora Ho Sports Centre • within walking distance to the main campus • http://www.hku.hk/lskhall
Lee Shau Kee Hall
• for men and women • Shared room • 6 Sassoon Road • next to the medical campus • within a short bus ride from the main campus • http://www.hku.hk/weilun
Wei Lun Hall
• for men and women • Shared room • 109 Pokfulam Road • next to Flora Ho Sports Centre • within walking distance to the main campus • http://www.hku.hk/scsweb
Suen Chi Sun Hall
• 150 undergraduates (for men only) • 150 postgraduates (for men and women) • Shared room • 109 Pokfulam Road • next to Flora Ho Sports Centre • within walking distance to the main campus • http://www.hku.hk/morrison
Morrison Hall
• for men and women • Shared room • 6 Sassoon Road • next to the medical campus • within a short bus ride from the main campus • http://lhh.hku.hk
Lee Hysan Hall
• for men and women • Shared room • 6 Sassoon Road • next to the medical campus • within a short bus ride from the main campus • http://www.hku.hk/rclhall
R.C. Lee Hall
• for men and women • an Anglican Foundation College • for students who study for a full academic year • Single room • 82 Pokfulam Road • opposite to the Flora Ho Sports Centre • has dining room, with compulsory meal charges for residents • http://www.hku.hk/stjohns
St. John's College

Page 19
(B) Non-hall Student Housing
When all hall vacancies for non-local undergraduate students are filled, students will be assigned a place in a ��non-hall�� student hostel like the Patrick Manson Student Residence (PMSR) and Pokfield Road Residences (PRR). (see Accommodation for postgraduate students below). The lodging fee for undergraduate students in the PMSR and PRR is same as that of other university-administered halls. In addition, residents will be charged air-conditioning fees and they have to pay key and smartcard deposits.
Patrick Manson Student Residence (for new nonlocal students)
Patrick Manson Student Residence (PMSR) is a ��non-hall�� student hostel. It is a four-storey building housing about 141 students. Accommodation facilities are provided on a sharing basis. It is situated near the main teaching sites on Sassoon Road. Unlike traditional halls, there are no hall commitments and fewer activities for residents.

Page 20
(C) Application Procedures: Getting a place
The Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) coordinates and places newly admitted non-local undergraduate students into halls and non-hall student housing. As soon as you are admitted to the University, you may submit your application. The online application form is available under ��Accommodation for non- local students�� of the CEDARS website at <http://cedars.hku.hk>. You will normally be notified of your application result in late July (for those students admitted for the first semester) or in early December (for those students admitted for the second semester).
Each room in PMSR is furnished with beds, wardrobes, writing desks with lamps, chairs and bookshelves for each student. Main entrance access, laundry and air- conditioning service are operated by smart-card devices. In addition, residents share one spacious TV common room, which can be used for various social and academic-related activities. Each floor has a communal pantry equipped with hot plate, rice cooker and refrigerators. Two washrooms and separate shower stalls are also provided on each floor. This residence is linked to the main campus by means of university shuttle bus within school hours. Residents can also travel to the Main Campus by bus. Website: < www.hku.hk/pflac >

Page 21
Accommodation for postgraduate students
(A) Graduate House
Located on the main campus, Graduate House provides air-conditioned accommodation for 200 postgraduate students. There are 190 single rooms with shared bathroom between two adjacent rooms and 10 double rooms with private bathroom. Approximately 80% of residents are from overseas.
The University has a few postgraduate residences that are independently managed. You should contact these residences directly for applications and enquiries.
For enquiries about vacancies, please contact:
Mr. Dick Chow
Graduate House, University Drive The University of Hong Kong (852) 2249 1800 (852) 2546 1861 gradhse@hkucc.hku.hk http://www.hku.hk/gradhse
Monthly charges:
Single room: HK$2,700 Double room: HK$4,950 (for married couples without children) (Occupants are required to pay the monthly electricity charges of his own bedroom) Security deposit: one month house charge Key deposit: HK$100

Page 22
Miss Jean Mak
St. John��s College, 82 Pokfulam Road Hong Kong (852) 2817 7102 stjohns@hkucc.hku.hk http://www.hku.hk/stjohns
For enquiries about vacancies, please contact: (B) Wong Chik Ting Hall, St. John��s College
It takes about 15-minute walk to the main campus and is well served by bus routes. Priority is given to research students. Residency for one complete year is preferred. The monthly charge for a room ranges from HK$4,000 to HK$4,500 (excluding utilities). All rooms are fully furnished and air- conditioned, with self-contained bathroom.

Page 23
For enquiries, please contact:
Mr. Alan Ng
Accommodation Manager
Pokfulam Amenities Centre Pauline Chan Building 10 Sassoon Road, Hong Kong (852) 2589 0404 (852) 2819 7973 pflac@hku.hk www.hku.hk/pflac
(C) Pokfield Road Residences
Pokfield Road Residences can accommodate up to 216 postgraduate students in four types of flats: single flats, 2-bedroom flats, double/triple- shared flats and family flats. Priority is given to newly arrived non-local research students. (A small number of vacancies will also be set aside to buffer the demand from non-local undergraduate students). Residents can stay from one month up to twelve months, with the possibility of renewal. The monthly lodging fee ranges from HK$1,680 to HK$3,465. The Residence is within walking distance to the University��s main campus (by 20 minutes) and Flora Ho Sports Centre (by 10 minutes).
All flats come with en-suite bathrooms, domestic washing machines and are fully furnished with bed, wardrobe, study desk, chair and telephone connection. Each flat also contains a small kitchen area with sink, cupboard, gas-stove and small refrigerator for the preparation of light meals. While lodging fee includes utilities cost, air-conditioning is payable and activated by a smartcard device. Residents are responsible for cleaning their own bed space, the communal bathroom and kitchen facilities.

Page 24
(D) Morrison Hall
Founded in 1913, Morrison Hall is one of the oldest halls in the University. The Hall was closed down in 1968. Yet, with the efforts of the ��Morrisonians��, a campaign for the rebuilding of Morrison Hall was initiated in late 1990s. The new building is located near the Flora Ho Sports Centre. All rooms are double rooms fully furnished with air conditioning and access to the campus network. There is a common bathroom and a pantry on each floor. It provides 150 residential places for both male and female postgraduate students. Priority will be given to newly arrived research postgraduates. It also consists of an undergraduate residence which accommodates 150 male students. All Morrisonians are expected to interact with each other through formal as well as informal hall activities. The monthly lodging fee for each postgraduate student is around HK$1,350, subject to annual review.
For enquiries, please contact:
Ms Christina Lo
109 Pokfulam Road Hong Kong (852) 3604 2014 (852) 2855 7192 jockeyv2@hkusua.hku.hk www.hku.hk/morrison

Page 25
For enquiries, please contact:
Ms Catherine Lok
(852) 2549 3719 rblack@hkusua.hku.hk www.hku.hk/rblack
(E) Robert Black College (for short stay only)
Robert Black College provides accommodation primarily for overseas visiting scholars. There are a few vacancies for students. Applicants can choose from a variety of accommodation, including single rooms, twin rooms, suites and apartments. All bedrooms have their own showers, and are air-conditioned and furnished with a refrigerator, television, radio and telephone. There is also access to the University��s computer network in every room. Computers, fax machine and other facilities are also provided in the communal areas for residents�� use.

Page 26
(F) Off-campus University Rented Accommodation
In anticipation of the growing number of non-local students and the corresponding shortage of residential places, the University has rented a small number of flats in Sai Ying Pun (��營盤) for those students who are interested in living in off-campus housing owned by private landlords. These off-campus flats are located within walking distance to Main Campus and are well served with facilities such as shops, banks and restaurants. Priority will be given to newly admitted non-local postgraduate students.
For enquiries about vacancies, please contact:
Mr. Alan Ng
Accommodation Manager
(852) 2859 2305 accommodation@cedars.hku.hk
Accommodation for married students and dependants
The University does not have any accommodation facilities specifically provided for married students and their dependants. However, they may apply for the flat and apartment run by the Robert Black College (monthly rental ranges from $7,000 to $20,000) for the temporary stay. In the long run, they need to rent a private flat outside the campus. Graduate House and Pokfield Road Residences also have limited residential places for those married couples without children.

Page 27
Off-campus privateLy Rented Accommodation: An option for all
Privately rented accommodation is another option for you. Private accommodation is relatively more expensive than living in halls. Most landlords look for long-term tenancy of at least a year. If you wish to look for privately rented accommodation, you are strongly advised to arrive earlier, so that you will have ample time for property inspection and rental negotiation. The monthly rental starts from HK$3,000 up for a small single room and HK$9,000 or more for a flat. A set of guidelines on tenancy matters can be found under ��Accommodation�� section on our website at <http:// cedars.hku.hk>.

Page 28
Hotels and Hostels in Hong Kong
There are a number of hotels and hostels in Hong Kong, in which students can stay either short-term or long-term. Please visit the CEDARS website and go to ��Accommodation�� for information and reservation.
Temporary accommodation on campus
A few guest rooms are available in some halls for students to stay temporarily. For those who need temporary accommodation, they should contact the following hall offices directly for reservation and information:
Hall Email Address Telephone No.
Lee Hysan Hall lhhall@hku.hk (852) 2986 5110 Lee Shau Kee Hall jockeyv2@hku.hk (852) 3604 2024 Morrison Hall jockeyv2@hku.hk (852) 3604 2014 R. C. Lee Hall rclhall@hku.hk (852) 2986 5250 St. John��s College stjohns@hku.hk (852) 2974 3500 Starr Hall starr@hku.hk (852) 3156 7575 Suen Chi Sun Hall jockeyv2@hku.hk (852) 3604 2034 Swire Hall swwarden@hku.hk (852) 2105 6600 Wei Lun Hall weilun@hku.hk (852) 2986 5300

Page 29
Items Undergraduate Postgraduate Students Students
Tuition fees $119,000 p.a.** $100,000 p.a.* (for taught courses) $42,100 p.a. (for research students) Other University expenses $350 Caution money + $350 Caution money $240 Student Union Fees Academic expenses $11,000 p.a. $11,000 p.a.
Lodging fees of the University��s $10,200 -$20,000 p.a. $12,500 - $55,000 p.a. residential halls (283 residential days) Hall miscellaneous charges $1,600 - $3,000 p.a. $1,600 - $3,000 p.a. Compulsory hall meal charges $5,900 - $8,200 p.a. $5,900 - $8,200 p.a. (for certain halls only) (not all meals are covered) (not all meals are covered) University-administered $11,000 p.a. $20,000 to $42,000 p.a. non-hall housing Privately rented accommodation From $30 per sq.ft. up, excluding utilities
*This is for UGC-funded programmes only. For self- financing courses, the fees vary from programme to programme. ( e.g. books and supplies) Some courses also have significant expenses relating to overseas field trips and special equipment. These include hall association entrance & subscription fees, high table dinner fees, key deposits etc, excluding air- conditioning charge which varies with individual lifestyle & seasons (approximately HK$200 per month in summer).
Fees and Expenses 2012-201311
The following estimates are based on charges for the year of 2011/12 only.
Basic expenditure (in HK dollars)

Page 30
Other Expenses
Meal charges $27,000 p.a. $27,000 p.a. (campus catering outlets) Local transportation expenses $9,800 p.a. $9,800 p.a. Entertainment fees $10,600 p.a. $10,600 p.a. Others You may also wish to spend on sports goods, durable goods, overseas travel, personal items, services, insurance and medical expenses.
MEAL CHARGES (on-campus catering outlets)
Items Price range ($)
Set Breakfast 13 - 22 Set Tea 13 - 20 Sandwiches 8 - 30 Set Lunch 11 - 28 Set Dinner 18 - 32 Bakery 5 - 20 Salads 12 - 25 Hot Drinks 5 - 25 Cold Drinks 6 - 27
HKU student��s frequent routes Fare (HK$) Means of public transport
Sassoon Road to Main Campus 2 By shuttle bus 5 to 6 By bus or mini-bus Main Campus to Central 5 to 7 By bus Main Campus to Causeway Bay 5 to 7 By bus or mini-bus Main Campus to Mongkok 10 to 13 By bus, mini-bus and MTR

Page 31
Financial Aid
Like most countries, the HKSAR government or the University does not provide financial aid to non-local students. It is therefore important for you to plan your budget well and ensure that you will have adequate financial resources to cover all of your expenses during your stay in Hong Kong.
Postgraduate studentships/scholarships are available for those reading for a M.Phil. or Ph.D. degree. Further information is obtainable from the Graduate School. International student entrance scholarships are available for undergraduate students. You can find out more information at <http:// www.hku.hk/international>.
Part-time and Summer Job
Under the existing immigration regulations, full-time full-degree non-local students are allowed to work at the designated operators on the HKU campus for up to 20 hours per week during term time. They can also work full-time during the summer period. For details, please visit the CEDARS website at < http://cedars.hku.hk/nonlocal/visa.html >. While some students can earn extra money from part-time and vacation work, availability of suitable jobs is not guaranteed. It is not advisable to plan your budget expecting to find work for the maximum allowable hours.

Page 32
Banking Arrangements: Making early provision
If you do not have a bank account in Hong Kong, you will need to transfer money for use on arrival. This can be done, either • by instructing an overseas bank one or two weeks prior to your departure. Arrange to send money in your name to a bank in Hong Kong (both HSBC and the Bank of East Asia have branches on the HKU campus); or • by carrying traveller��s cheques or a bank draft for deposit into a local account (personal cheques can also be deposited but may take up to three weeks to be cleared). The majority of banks are open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Mondays to Fridays. Most establishments in Hong Kong accept major credit cards such as VISA, MasterCard and American Express but the University and most campus outlets accept cash or cheque only.
Bringing money
There are usually significant extra expenses in the first month of your stay, such as rental charges, household items and textbooks. On top of the tuition fees, the first month��s expenses can amount to HK$10,000 or more for a student. It is important to have a realistic idea of the amount of money you will need and plan accordingly. You are advised to bring enough cash, traveller��s cheques, or bank drafts to cover expenses of at least your first month. Do not, however, carry too much cash at any time. You will be able to locate banks and currency exchange services at the airport as well as on campus. You can obtain a bank draft or transfer money to a bank account in Hong Kong through your local bank. Keep in mind that it may take some time to cash a large bank draft. Money transfers should be arranged well before your departure.
There are two banks located on the main campus: HSBC (Tel: 852-2233 3000) The Bank of East Asia (Tel: 852-3609 1812) Bank of China (Automated Teller Machine only)
The official currency of Hong Kong is Hong Kong Dollar (HK$). You can exchange foreign currency or Traveller��s Cheque with Hong Kong dollar according to the daily exchange rates at any banks or money exchange shops in Hong Kong. .

Page 33
Family Matters:
Should I bring along my own family?
Before making a decision of bringing your family to Hong Kong, it is important to consider the following issues: • The airfare expenses for your family to and from Hong Kong • Additional accommodation expenses as you need to rent a larger flat • Extra cost for food, clothing and other necessities • Restricted employment opportunities for your spouse • Provision of child care facilities • Whether your children will adjust well to schools in Hong Kong • English-speaking schools are mostly privately run and expensive • The impact on you and your studies if your family is not happy in Hong Kong • Whether you come to Hong Kong first and arrange things for your family, or bring your family to Hong Kong together with you
Medical Care & Insurance: Keeping well
The University provides comprehensive primary health care to entitled students through a clinic on the main campus. Medical consultations are generally free of charge. Certain medications, preventive services and other items are charged at cost. A charge is also levied for dental treatment and physiotherapy treatment at the University clinic.

Page 34
When specialist care and hospitalization are required, students may be referred to specialists/hospitals in the public or private sector. Non-local students without a Hong Kong Identity (HKID) card are required to pay full fees for services and hospitalization in government hospitals. You are therefore strongly recommended to arrange medical insurance for your whole period of stay before you come to Hong Kong. Insurance options for non-local students are very limited in Hong Kong.
Further details are listed on the CEDARS website at http://cedars.hku.hk/nonlocal/incoming/sl/healthcare.html
Non-local persons without a HKID card have to pay FULL FEES for services and hospitalization in Government Hospitals. The charges are as follows:
Deposit Around HK$33,000 to be paid upon admission Room charge per day General Ward HK$3,300 High Dependency Ward HK$9,800 Intensive Care Ward HK$13,900 Special Intensive Care Ward HK$18,100 Operation cost HK$3,900 to HK$12,300 (for minor surgery) HK$70,300 to HK$300,000 (for ultra major surgery) This does not include charges for tests, X-rays, cast, medication and follow up checks etc. Fees are adjusted upward annually. Patients need to settle all outstanding charges before discharge.
Please note that many insurance policies are strictly on a reimbursement basis. International students, even with insurance coverage, may have to settle the medical bill first before you can claim reimbursement. It is important that you check carefully with your insurance company on the extent of coverage, and the claim procedures, and set aside a sum of money for contingencies.

Page 35
Visa Matters
Who should apply for a student visa?
Generally speaking, if you wish to study in Hong Kong and you do not have a right of abode in Hong Kong, you need to apply for a HKSAR student visa.
When to apply ?
As soon as you have received the admission letter.
How to apply ? Documents list
Details can be found on the CEDARS website at <http://cedars.hku.hk/nonlocal/ visa.html>.
Information on visa procedure can be updated anytime without prior notice. Enquiries about immigration formalities can be directed to CEDARS at <cedars@hku.hk>. Mainland undergraduate and taught postgraduate students should consult China Affairs Office directly at <visaapp@hkucc.hku.hk> on student visa matters. Mail your complete visa application documents to the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS). Upon confirmation of your student status, CEDARS will forward your visa application documents to the Hong Kong Immigration Department (HKID). HKID normally needs 6 to 8 weeks processing time. They will inform CEDARS of your student visa application result. If HKID approves your visa application, CEDARS will courier the visa label to you. For mainland students, after receiving the visa label from CEDARS, you need to approach your Local Police Unit (戶 �� �� �� �� �� �� �� 機 關
�� �� �� �� �� �� 門) to seek their endorsement. You also need to apply for a
private travel pass to HKSAR (�� ˽ �� 來 �� �� ͨ �� 證). This may take you another 2 weeks at least.
1 3 2

Page 36
Hong Kong Culture
Hong Kong is a cosmopolitan society. Chinese is the major ethnic group. Locals speak the dialect of Cantonese. Most people speak Cantonese and know English, though fluency of the latter is another issue. Putonghua is commonly heard and spoken nowadays. Some locals may have difficulties in understanding you, particularly if you have strong regional accents. You may also find that you have difficulties in understanding them at first. Just be patient. Try to speak slowly and deliberately. Avoid colloquialisms and jargons if you can. When communication becomes really difficult, remember the magic word ��smile��. It works across all cultures.
Social Customs and Behaviour
• It is common to call your peer��s first name. It is always safe to address the elders and seniors in the social circles with their titles such as Mr. Chan, Dr. Wong, Professor Lee etc. • It is advisable to give your Chinese friends plenty of personal space, particularly if you do not know them well. If you are interacting with the locals, avoid the common western gestures like back slapping, and nudging, as most Chinese find them uncomfortable. • Do not push ahead of others who are waiting in queue. • It is not polite to ask a newly acquainted person about his or her income or marital status. • Squatting on the street and spitting or speaking loudly in public areas is regarded as ��uncivil�� acts. Putting your feet on a chair or on a train seat is deemed as a ��very bad manner��. • Modesty is highly valued by the Chinese. Display of intense affection, temper or anything ��extreme�� will very often be frowned upon. • The concept of ��face�� (dignity) is very important for the Chinese. Refrain from making criticism and personal remarks on social occasions.
Cultural Adjustment and Life in HKSAR

Page 37
Chinese Festivals
Hong Kong has upheld many traditional Chinese festivals. The most important one is the Chinese New Year, which usually falls in January/February. Classes will be suspended and university offices will be closed.
Daily Living in Hong Kong
The University campus is well served by modern public buses and green mini -buses. Eligible students can apply for a ��Student Octopus Card�� in October every year. Generally Hong Kong is a safe city with many well-lit roads. Public transportation services also operate till midnight throughout the week. If you wish to learn about the other facets of ��HK life�� such as transportation, money matters, cultural events, tourism spots, you can surf the official websites such as <http://studyinhongkong.edu.hk>, <http://discoverhongkong. com> before departing to Hong Kong. Essential information is also listed on the CEDARS website at <http://cedars.hku.hk/nonlocal/incoming.html>. You are strongly recommended to pick up a copy of ��Guide for Newcomers�� at the CEDARS office upon arrival.
Some Hints on Adjustment to Hong Kong
• Examine your expectations • Listen and observe • Ask questions and seek clarification • Keep an open mind on cultural differences • Keep your sense of humour • Expect anxiety and frustration • Get involved in student activities • Explore the local culture of Hong Kong • Actively interact with local students and introduce your culture to them • Learn basic Cantonese

Page 38
Consultation Service offered by CEDARS
Professional Counselling Service
If you have concerns with your studies, emotions, psychological health, and relationships, you can arrange to meet a counsellor anytime during office hours by appointment. All our counsellors are professionally qualified and our service is confidential. You can make an appointment in person, or calling (852) 2857 8388, or email to <cedars-cope@hku.hk>. If you have a crisis or need urgent counselling, you can meet our Duty Counsellor on a first-come-first-served basis during our drop-in hours:
CEDARS (Counselling and Person Enrichment) Rm 408, 4/F, Meng Wah Complex Mondays to Fridays, from 2pm to 5pm
General Consultation at CEDARS Learning Plus (G/F., Main Library)
You are also welcome to discuss any matters related to hall life, learning support available on campus, participation in extra/co- curricular activities, financial management and career development with CEDARS-student advisors at the Learning Plus. Please send an email to <cedars-learningplus@hku.hk> or call (852) 2219 4857 to make an appointment with a student advisor.
On-line University Adjustment Tips
• Watch the FAQ videos on Successful University Life http://wp.cedars.hku.hk/web/faqvideos/ • Visit our website to get more information about successful university adjustment http://w3.cedars.hku.hk/counselling/content/resources.php

Page 39

Page 40
Arriving Hong Kong

Page 41
Arrival Reception Service
Exchange students may apply for the HKU Buddy Programme. A current HKU student will be assigned to be your buddy and help you throughout your stay at HKU. Your buddy can also meet you at the Hong Kong station, the terminal station of Airport Express and bring you to the HKU campus. You are expected to establish direct contacts and exchange emails with your HKU buddy before your departure. You can apply for a buddy directly on the website of the Office of International Student Exchange (OISE) <www.hku.hk/exchange> after you have received the admission letter. Postgraduate students may contact the Postgraduate Student Association (PGSA) at < pgsa@hku.hk > to inquire about the availability of reception service.

Page 42
Orientation Programmes
Cultural adjustment session, library tour, city tour, campus tour will be organized for the newly arrived non-local students at the beginning of every semester. You can sign up at the CEDARS & OISE office upon arrival. Updated news will be posted on the CEDARS website nearer the time. In order to facilitate your adjustment and adaptation to the HKU hall life, you are strongly encouraged to participate in the hall orientation activities which will normally take place in late August. You can find out more details from your own hall manager or Hall Association in early August.

Page 43
Getting to HKU
HK International Airport is situated in Chap Lap Kok on Lantau Island.
By Train & By Taxi By Bus & By Taxi By Taxi
By Bus
Take the Airport Express Train from Hong Kong International Airport to Hong Kong Station, Central (train fare is HK$100 and the train ride is 25 minutes). Then take a taxi from Central District to your hall (taxi fare: HK$50 to $80 + luggage fee; 20-minute ride to HKU halls). Although there are green mini buses from Central to the campus, this is not recommended as they do not allow luggage. Take bus no A11 from the Hong Kong International Airport to Central (bus fare is HK$40, 1-hour bus ride). Then take a taxi in Central to your hall (taxi fare: HK$50 to $80 + luggage fee; 20-minute ride to HKU halls). If your budget permits, simply take a taxi from the Hong Kong International Airport directly to the hall, the cost is about HK$350 and the traveling time is approximately 45 minutes. Most taxi drivers understand enough English to get you where you want to go. But it may be helpful to show the instructions on ��Going to HKU Student Residences�� (refer to the insert card of this book) to the taxi driver. If you are living in the University Hall or Sassoon Road student halls, you can take the bus no. A10 at the Hong Kong International Airport. That will take you directly from the airport to the Pokfulam district. The fare is HK$48.
From Hong Kong International Airport to HKU
HK Station Central HK airport HK airport HK airport HK airport
25mins 1 hour 45mins 1 hour 30 mins 20mins 20mins
option 1 option 2 option 3 option 4

Page 44
From Hung Hom Railway station to HKU
You can simply take a taxi from Hung Hom Station to HKU. The travelling time is about 40 minutes and the taxi fare is around HK$150, plus luggage fee. As an alternative, you can take bus no. 103 to the HKU main campus.
;徑���ģ� 1. �˴�機場鐵·��線�����總վ��Ȼ��轉�˵�ʿ(������ 車)����۴�學��機場��線��車費��為��幣100Ԫ����ʿ 費�ô��為��幣60Ԫ�� 2. �����機場ֱ�ӳ˴��ʿ����۴�學��車費���為��幣 350Ԫ�� 3. ����ֻ��攜帶輕��������選擇��機場�˴��ʿ(���� ����車) A11號����環區��Ȼ��轉�˵�ʿ����۴�學���� ʿ費��為��幣40Ԫ����ʿ費�ô��為��幣60Ԫ�� 4. ����ס�ڴ�學�������ɳ����學������羣�������機 場�˴�機場��ʿA10號��������區����ʿ費��為��幣48 Ԫ��
��紅磡車վ��車�ᣬ��ֱ�ӳ˴�過����ʿֱ�ӵ�達��۴�學 �������館��從紅磡����۴�學����У園��·��約40��鐘�� 車費���為��幣150塊������ֻ��攜帶輕��������選擇 �˴�103號�����ʿֱ達��۴�學����У園(����۴�學東閘 ��車)����;����(��學�����ἰɳ�����������)��������� ��λ�ɳ��������須�ڱ���У園轉��28號��10號����С�͡�

Page 45

Page 46
Life at HKU

Page 47
Catering : Where to Eat Student Clubs

Page 48
Student Attire Smoke-free Campus Prayer room and chapel Student Amenities

Page 49
Haking Wong Podium New Union Restaurant
Fast food, noodle, Chinese BBQ, SE Asian food
Catering: where to eat
Campus Catering Outlets
You can easily access to restaurants, caf�� and kiosks located throughout the Main Campus, Sassoon Road Campus, student villages and residential halls along Pokfulam Road and Sassoon Road.
4/F Chong Yuet Ming Amenities Centre Restaurant Outlet A
Fast food, western cuisine (semi table-serviced), Halal box meals
4/F Chong Yuet Ming Amenities Centre Restaurant Outlet B
Pasta, sandwiches, petites, breads, baked potatoes, salad, coffee
Main Campus

Page 50
Global Lounge Caf��
(Mon - Fri)
(Sat) Closed (Sun & Public Holidays)
Sandwiches, petites, breads, pastry, puff, salad, coffee
91 Pokfulam Road, Jockey Club Student Village-I Ho Tim Hall Restaurant
Local fast food
111 Pokfulam Road, Jockey Club Student Village-II C.C. Canteen
Local fast food
P3 Graduate House Joseph��s at the Graduate House
Western Fine Dining 11:00a.m.–10:30p.m.
(Mon - Sat)
(Sun & Public Holidays)
Western cuisine (Table-serviced)
Main Library Coffee Shop
(Sun & Public Holidays)
Pasta, sandwiches, pastries, breads, salad, coffee
1/F Fong Shu Chuen Amenities Centre Halal Food Corner
(Mon - Sat) Closed (Sat, Sun & Public Holidays)
Halal Food (kebabs, pizza, Biryani rice, salad), drinks
2/F Fong Shu Chuen Amenities Centre Food Court
Food Court 7:30a.m.–8:00p.m.
(Sat) Closed (Sun & Public Holidays)
Fast food, noodles, Chinese BBQ, SE Asian food
Pokfulam Road

Page 51
LG/F, 6 Sassoon Road Bay View Restaurant
Local fast food, noodles, Chinese Dim Sum, Chinese cuisine (Table-serviced)
Faculty of Medicine Building Restaurant 7/F William M.W. Mong Blk, 21 Sassoon Road
(Mon - Sat)
Western fine dining (Table-serviced)
Garden Patio Fun Pui Garden, LG/F William M.W. Mong Blk, 21 Sassoon Road
(Mon - Sat)
Snacks, sandwiches, coffee and tea
10 Sha Wan Drive Stanley Ho Sports Centre Kiosk
Noodles, snacks, drinks
Cyberport Phase 4
L2, Block A, Phase 4, Cyberport, 100 Cyberport Road, H.K.
(Mon - Sat)
(Sun & Public Holidays)
Chinese cuisine, Chinese style soup (Table-serviced)
Medical Campus Sports Centre
Sassoon Road Residence

Page 52
Off Campus
If you do not mind spending a bit more, there is a variety of restaurants serving different kinds of cuisine located within walking distance from the Main Campus. You may also explore different international delicacies at the SOHO district (Central). Adjacent to it is the famous Lan Kwai Fong where you can hang out drinks and enjoy chit-chat with your friends and fellows. A number of restaurants in town also serve specialist Halal Food, Kebabs and Kosher Food.
Further details on campus catering services and the reference menu of respective outlets can be viewed at < http://cedars.hku.hk/catering >.
Cuisine & Location How far?
Pizza and Burger
Bonham Road (Burger) Pizza (Western District or call-to-deliver)
Western fine-dining
Along Bonham Road
Chinese Restaurant and Dim Sum
The Westwood Shopping Arcade, Western District downtown
Local Tea Restaurant
Along Bonham Road, Third Street, Water Street, Western District
Japanese Cuisine
The Westwood Shopping Arcade
Pubs, International Cuisine
SOHO District (Central), Lan Kwai Fong
Specialized Kosher Food
5-10 min walk from East Gate 5-10 min walk from East Gate 10-15 minutes walk from Main Campus All within 10 min walk from Main Campus 10 min walk from West Gate 10-15 minutes by Green Minibus or Taxi from East Gate http://cedars.hku.hk/catering/KosherRestaurant.pdf

Page 53
Student Amenities
All HKU students can enjoy the facilities provided by the three amenities centres. The Global Lounge located on the G/F of Fong Shu Chuen Amenities Centre is a favourite mingling place among local and non-local students.
New Catering Outlets at Centennial Campus in 2012
In anticipation of the surge of student and staff population in 2012, the University decided to allocate about 1,010m2 for the construction of five brand new catering outlets at the Centennial Campus by mid 2012. The new outlets will provide a variety of delicacies aiming at serving diversified food that are different from the existing outlets.
Student Sport and Recreation
At HKU, there is a broad range of health, fitness, sport and recreational facilities and programmes to help make your stay in Hong Kong a fun and healthy experience. Sports fans can make use of the wide range of sports facilities at the Lindsay Sports Centre (indoor sports) and Stanley Ho Sports Centre (outdoor sports and athletics). You can find out more information from the Institute of Human Performance at <http://www3.hku.hk/iohp>.
Prayer Room & Chapels
Students of different religious beliefs can make use of the prayer room on the 1/F of the Fong Shu Chuen Amenities Centre. Both the St. John��s College (an Anglican establishment) and Ricci Hall (run by the Jesuit priests) house a chapel outside the main campus. Facilities include: •Bank •Breastfeeding room •Meeting room •Multi-purpose rooms •Music rooms •Prayer room •Photocopying centre •Restaurants •Shower rooms •Student society rooms •Supermarket •TV room •Theatre

Page 54
Student Attire
There is no official dress code in HKU. Students normally dress casually for lectures and tutorials. It is a norm for students to put on business attire for the presentation class. Formal dress code is required for formal functions like ��High Table Dinner��, official ceremonies and special occasions. If you participate in competitions or sports games, you are expected to wear team��s uniform.
Smoke-free Campus
HKU is a smoke-free campus. Smoking is not allowed on the campus.
At HKU the official medium of instruction is English. If needs arise, you may make use of the ��Language Resources Centre�� run by the School of Modern Languages and Cultures. Details can be viewed at < http://www0. hku.hk/smlc/ >. Chinese courses Undergraduate students and exchange students can enroll in the credit- bearing Chinese courses run by the School of Chinese. The School runs Putonghua courses, Cantonese courses, Chinese Language Courses and Chinese Cultural Courses for foreign students. Research postgraduate students can also sign up for the Cantonese classes offered by the Graduate School. HKU jargons HKU students have a lot of jargons like ��submarine��, ��superpass�� etc. It would be interesting to learn some of them from your buddy.

Page 55
Student Clubs
HKU is renowned for its vibrant campus life. Students enjoy a high degree of autonomy. The Hong Kong University Students�� Union (HKUSU) is the largest student body on the campus. It is independent of the university administration and runs its own Co-op store and photocopying centre on the campus. It has more than 100 sub-organisations, each with distinctive objectives and functions, catering to the diverse interest of the student population. Only HKUSU members can represent HKU or HKU halls to participate in competitive games. For the full list of student clubs and membership details, please refer to the HKUSU homepage at <www.hkusu.org>.
Postgraduate students may apply for the membership of the Postgraduate Student Association (PGSA). It aims to enhance the student life of postgraduate students by encouraging their participation in academic and social events. More can be found on its website at <www3.hku.hk/pgsa>.

Page 56
Students and scholars coming from Mainland China is automatically a member of the Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA). Its prime objective is to provide rapport amongst the Mainlanders by organising regular social activities and meetings. CSSA has also published an information booklet (in Chinese) for the newly arrived Mainland students. More details can be found on their homepage at <www.hkucssa.com>. You may also write to them at <hkucssa@hotmail.com > for tips before arrival.

Page 57

Page 58

Page 59
Pre-departure Checklist
Prepare the followings before you leave
Ensure that your passport and travel documents are valid and in order. Obtain a student visa for your study in Hong Kong (refer to p.34). Make sure you have finalised your accommodation arrangements. For students admitted into our halls of residence, you are required to confirm your acceptance of the offer directly with the hall concerned. Notify your hall of your arrival details so that they can arrange for the keys collection. Arrange health/medical insurance if necessary (refer to p.32). You should make additional provision if necessary. For visiting and exchange students only: Confirm the credit transfer arrangement with your own study abroad office. Make sure you know whether your home institution will give you credit for the classes that you complete at HKU. For visiting and exchange students only: Keep your buddy informed of your arrival details so that you can be met at the Airport or at the Hong Kong Station. It will be better for you to send your buddy a photo first, and ask your buddy for the contact number.

Page 60
What should I pack?
Clothes & Bedding
You can expect sunny, bright and cool weather during winter and occasional mist and showers from March to mid-May, so a shower proof jacket is desirable. You may consider bringing a quilt for the cooler days or alternatively buy one in Hong Kong. Linen and pillows are not provided in halls. You can get these items easily in the nearby markets of the HKU campus. Some halls will lend you these items for the first few days.
Valid passport or travel documents. Student Visa (You have to present your student visa label to the Immigration Officer at the Airport on arrival). Original Letter of Acceptance from HKU. Proof of funds available (e.g., bank draft, transfer of funds, credit, scholarship or other) and/or credit cards such as Visa, MasterCard). Address and telephone number of where you are going. Your medical records, immunisation records and academic records. Documents with details of your insurance policy (if any) issued in your home country. For those who are married, marriage certificate if your spouse is accompanying you. Passport photo for hall registration. Proof of your permanent address in your own country (e.g. original bank statements, driving license). The bank statements should be of the past 2 months and in English.
What documents
should I bring?
We recommend that you carry the following documentations with you. Do not put them in your luggage when you travel. To be safe: make photocopies of them

Page 61
Cantonese is the main language spoken among local students, but students are competent in speaking good English and all classes are conducted in English. However, you may expect some of the general public cannot speak good English. Bring along a good bilingual dictionary if you need one.
Hong Kong is a cosmopolitan city, and you will be able to find most, if not all, types of food here. In case your flight arrives late, you may have difficulties in locating a restaurant or catering outlet. It is advisable to pack some light snacks such as biscuits or chocolates in your hand luggage.
Electrical equipment
The electrical equipment you bring should be compatible with Hong Kong��s voltage, which is 220 volts, 50Hz. The plug used in Hong Kong has 3 pins in rectangular shape.
Study tools
Computer facilities are available on the campus and inside the halls. You may however wish to bring along your own laptop for the use inside your room. Most of the campus areas have wireless network coverage for registered students. However, internet connections in halls are connected via Ethernet. So you may want to prepare a wireless card or/and a LAN cable. You can also buy them at a cheap price in Hong Kong.
Mobile phones
Hong Kong is using the GSM network. There are a wide range of packages offered by different service providers in the market. Alternatively, you can also purchase a roaming pre-paid SIM card in Hong Kong.
Sports goods/music instrument
If you wish to participate in student sports teams or any other student clubs, you may wish to bring along your personal equipment or instrument.

Page 62
91 Pokfulam Road �����ֵ�91號 (852) 3152 6500 lhthsa@hku.hk 6 Sassoon Road ɳ����6號 (852) 2986 5110 lhhall@hku.hk 109 Pokfulam Road �����ֵ�109號 (852) 3604 2024 jockeyv2@hku.hk 109 Pokfulam Road �����ֵ�109號 (852) 3604 2014 jockeyv2@hku.hk 6 Sassoon Road ɳ����6號 (852) 2986 5250 rclhall@hku.hk 93 Pokfulam Road �����ֵ�93號 (852) 2546 9201 riccihal@hku.hk Main Campus �����ֵ�����У園 (852) 2857 8788 skyhall@hku.hk 82 Pokfulam Road �����ֵ�82號 (852) 2817 7102 stjohns@hku.hk 91 Pokfulam Road �����ֵ�91號 (852) 3156 7568 starr@hku.hk 109 Pokfulam Road �����ֵ�109號 (852) 3604 2034 jockeyv2@hku.hk Main Campus �����ֵ�����У園 (852) 2105 6602 swwarden@hku.hk 144 Pokfulam Road �����ֵ�144號 (852) 2550 6341 uhall@hku.hk 6 Sassoon Road ɳ����6號 (852) 2986 5300 weilun@hku.hk
Residential Halls
Lady Ho Tung Hall
Lee Hysan Hall
Lee Shau Kee Hall
Morrison Hall
R. C. Lee Hall
Ricci Hall
Simon K.Y. Lee Hall
St. John��s College
Starr Hall
Suen Chi Sun Hall
Swire Hall
University Hall
Wei Lun Hall

Page 63
http://fac.arch.hku.hk/ (852) 2859 2149 faculty@arch.hku.hk http://arts.hku.hk/ (852) 2859 8977 arts@hku.hk http://www.fbe.hku.hk/ (852) 2241 5343 fbeinfo@hku.hk http://facdent.hku.hk/ (852) 2859 0390 dentktu@hku.hk http://web.edu.hku.hk/ (852) 2859 2357 edfac@hku.hk http://engg.hku.hk/ (852) 2859 2803 enggfac@hkucc.hku.hk http://www0.hku.hk/law/ (852) 2859 2951 lawfac@hkusua.hku.hk http://www0.hku.hk/facmed/index.html (852) 2819 9175 medfac@hku.hk http://www.scifac.hku.hk/ (852) 2859 2683 science@hku.hk http://www0.hku.hk/socsc/ Tel: (852) 2859 8016 Email: socsc@hku.hk
Faculty of Architecture
Faculty of Arts
Faculty of Business and Economics
Faculty of Dentistry
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Engineering
Faculty of Law
Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Sciences

Page 64
Useful Websites
The University of Hong Kong <http://www.hku.hk> Hong Kong Immigration Department <http://www.immd.gov.hk> Hong Kong International Airport <http://www.hongkongairport.com> Hong Kong Transportation <http://www.td.gov.hk/> Hong Kong Tourism Board <http://discoverhongkong.com > Study in Hong Kong <http://studyinhongkong.edu.hk>
Academic Services Office
China Affairs Office
Finance and Enterprises Office
Graduate School
Office of International Student Exchange
Centre of Development and Resources for Students
University Health Services
http://www.hku.hk/afss/ Tel: (852) 2859 2433 Email: asoffice@hku.hk http://www.als.hku.hk/hkucao/ Tel: (852) 2241 5437 Email: chinaaff@hkucc.hku.hk http://www0.hku.hk/finance/ Tel: (852) 3921 2895 Email: finance@fo.hku.hk http://www0.hku.hk/gradsch/web/ (852) 2857 3470 gradsch@hku.hk http://www3.hku.hk/oise/eng/intro.php (852) 2219 4309 exchange@hku.hk http://cedars.hku.hk/ (852) 2859 2305 cedars@hku.hk http://www0.hku.hk/uhs/index.html (852) 2859 2501 uhealth@hku.hk

Page 65
Dates of Semesters for 2012-2013
First Day of Teaching on September 17, 2012 with shortened Semester 1 (for undergraduate and taught postgraduate students*#)
1st Semester
First Day of Teaching 17.09.2012 (Mon) Reading/Field Trip Week 29.10.2012 (Mon) – 03.11.2012 (Sat) Last Day of Teaching 08.12.2012 (Sat) Revision Period 10.12.2012 (Mon) – 14.12.2012 (Fri) Assessment Period 15.12.2012 (Sat) - 22.12.2012 (Sat)
2nd Semester
First Day of Teaching 21.01.2013 (Mon) Classes Suspension Period for the Lunar New Year 09.02.2013 (Sat) - 15.02.2013 (Fri) Reading/Field Trip Week 11.03.2013 (Mon) – 16.03.2013 (Sat) Last Day of Teaching 04.05.2013 (Sat) Revision Period 06.05.2013 (Mon) – 11.05.2013 (Sat) Assessment Period 13.05.2013 (Mon) – 01.06.2013 (Sat)
Optional Summer Semester
02.07.2013 (Tue) - 24.08.2013 (Sat)
Note: * Applicable to non-clinical undergraduate and taught postgraduate curricula in general and subject to Faculties�� confirmation of the first and last days of teaching, reading/field trip weeks (if any), revision periods, and assessment periods for individual curricula as approved by the respective Boards of Faculties. # Public holidays subject to Government confirmation.

Page 66
International Student Profile
In 2011, we have admitted non-local students from the following places:
Argentina Iceland Palestine Armenia India Peru Australia Indonesia Philippines Austria Iran Poland Bangladesh Ireland Portugal Belgium Israel Romania Brazil Italy Russia Britain Japan Salvador Bulgaria Kazakhstan Serbia Burma Kenya Singapore Cambodia Korea Slovakia Canada Kuwait Spain Chile Lithuania Sri Lanka China Luxembourg Sweden Colombia Macau Switzerland Czech Republic Malaysia Taiwan Denmark Mexico Tanzania Ecuador Mongolia Thailand Estonia Morocco The Netherlands Finland Nepal Turkmenistan France New Zealand USA Germany Nigeria Vietnam Greece Norway Zambia Guatemala Pakistan
Loo ki
forwar d to m
eet ing
you at HKU

Page 67
CEDARS Centre of Development &
Resources for Students
Robert Black College No.2 University Drive Graduate House James Hsioung Lee Science Bldg Run Run Shaw Bldg Rayson Huang Theatre Runme Shaw Bldg Meng W ah Complex May Hall Chong Y uet ming Chemistry Bldg Chong Y uet Ming Physics Bldg Tang Chi Ngong Bldg Fong Shu Chuen Amenities Centre T T T sui Bldg K K Leung Bldg Knowles Bldg Hui Oi Chow Science Bldg Technology Innovation & Incubation Bldg Haking W ong Bldg Kadoorie Biological Sciences Bldg Main Bldg Hsu Long Sing Amenities Centre Simon K Y Lee Hall Chow Y ei Ching Bldg Main Library Building Main Library Building Swire Hall
East Gate W est Gate
Global Lounge

Page 68

Page 69

Page 70

Page 71

Page 72

Page 73

Page 74
Search more related documents:Untitled
Download Document:Untitled

Set Home | Add to Favorites

All Rights Reserved Powered by Free Document Search and Download

Copyright © 2011
This site does not host pdf,doc,ppt,xls,rtf,txt files all document are the property of their respective owners. complaint#nuokui.com